Pro Bono Partnership proudly nominated Susan Corcoran, a partner in the White Plains, NY office of Jackson Lewis P.C., one of the nation’s leading employment law firms, to receive special recognition by the New York State Bar Association for her extraordinary pro bono contributions in 2014. Susan was recognized on January 29, 2015 at the NYSBA Fourteenth Annual Justice For All Luncheon celebrating the pro bono contributions of the 2014 Empire State Counsel.®
Susan was one of the Partnership’s first pro bono attorney volunteers when we began in 1997, and she has remained dedicated and active ever since then. During her tenure as a Partnership pro bono counsel, Susan has:
- worked on 44 different legal matters for our clients;
- spoken at Partnership workshops on employment law issues, including a leadership role in organizing and presenting at our two NY-based Human Resources “Boot Camps” in 2011 and 2013;
- answered numerous employment-resource calls from the nonprofit community;
- been a tireless advocate of pro bono within her firm; and
- served as an invaluable resource to the Partnership’s in-house staff on labor and employment issues.
In 2014 Susan accepted five pro bono projects on a range of employment questions, and as always, Susan handled these matters quickly, thoroughly and professionally – as evidenced by one of the clients, who wrote Susan and the Partnership to say: “I want to thank you for all your help with this difficult situation… It was very comforting to know that we had you there to help and you were so nice and attentive through the entire process.”
But that doesn’t tell the whole story of Susan’s involvement this year. In June, the Partnership’s NY-based employment law staff attorney needed to take a sudden leave of absence for several months. Faced with this challenge, the Partnership turned to Susan for help. Not only did she immediately agree to handle these resource calls during our staff attorney’s absence (in addition to the lengthier projects that she accepted), but she developed a protocol within her firm to ensure that these calls were handled promptly and efficiently. As a result of Susan’s efforts, we were able to seamlessly continue helping our NY clients with their employment issues.